February 17, 2013/Lent I

Hello Everybody,

Lent is here.

Feels like a good time to open our hearts, yes? We begin the long journey to spring and renewal. Leading from the heart feels like a good idea. Here are some heart opening songs to take the first step.

Deuteronomy 26:1-11
Psalm 91:1-2, 9-16
Romans 10:8b-13
Luke 4:1-13

Gathering: Open My Heart by Ana Hernandez

This song can be simple or many layered--beautiful every way.



Gospel: I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got by Sinéad O'Connor
 We sing a shortened version (less verses) of the originial. This a cappella by Bettye Lavette is a stunner.

Some of our high school musicians have led this song in the past, adding a few of our additional verses. It is a great response to the epistle.


Communion: Knockin' On Heaven't Door by Bob Dylan
Antony is one of my favorite performers. His original music is incredible and his covers help me hear the oldies in a new way. 



After Communion: Give Peace to Every Heart




BONUS: A little church with Ben Harper











Comments