October 28, 2012 | Year B Proper 25

Wow, we've come full circle! You Call That Church Music has completed the 3 year liturgical cycle. October 25, 2015 is HERE!

October 28, 2012
See, Hear and Trust

Readings
Job 42:1-6, 10-17
Psalm 34:1-8, (19-22)

or
Jeremiah 31:7-9
Psalm 126 

Hebrews 7:23-28
Mark 10:46-52


Themes
Trust, healing, acceptance, power of prayer and faith

A bit about us here at Grace and our liturgy. Bill Harper, rector of Grace has led and encouraged the congregation and staff to create liturgy that is heartfelt, true and a bit outside the box. We use resources and get ideas from all over the place. Poetry, popular songs and film as well as the Bible and the Book of Common Prayer. The secular and sacred combine to make our worship experiences reflect our own varied beliefs. I'll try to share some of our liturgical resources and finished bulletins from time to time. Here is a GREAT resource. Psalms in Ordinary Voices is a complete reworking of all 150 psalms. I cried the first time I read it.


Psalm 34
by The Davis Family

In loving memory of Doris Eloise Allen Davis
Beloved mother and grandmother

We have ancestors who have passed through the journey of time
and have become angels who stand by our sides to guide and protect us.
As we find our way in our journey,
we feel their presence and listen to their warnings.

The message is clear and resonates within this Psalm. It is nothing new.
We have heard it before when we were once children ourselves.
Now we have the blessings of children to guide and to raise,
and the message is even more powerful.

Respect...always with respect with words and action.
Truth...always keep truth within our lips.
Humility... growing up is a joyous journey
but we find ourselves in foolish confidence.
Deceit, greed, and jealousy have ways of self-consumption.

Recognize that we are not perfect and to know
perfection is to understand
and to acknowledge that there is Only One.

When fear confronts us and engulfs us with hopelessness and despair,
stand tall and be humbled by the presence of the Spirit.

To know Him is to know that we are always protected,
that our prayers are heard
and that He stands by our sides in our journey.

OR Psalm 126
by Ivan Anderson

The only way to get something for nothing is to be lucky.
It's easy to be thankful when you're lucky.
Everyone wants to be lucky.

If I can't be lucky
          I'll just have to be ready.


from Psalms in Ordinary Voices ed. by Andrea Ayvazian, Photographs by Ellen Augarten. White River Press

Music for this week

Gathering: Take O Take Me As I Am  John Bell

Opening Processional: Be Thou My Vision

Gospel: Moved By the Gospel

Offertory: As I Went Down to the River to Pray

During Communion: Oh, Light Divine
Tune: Trad. Shenandoah
Text: Scott Lawrence

This song was written by a member of our music circle Scott Lawrence and is one of our favorites. 


The above version, by Victoria Williams, was our inspiration. We heard it years ago and have used it quite a bit.

Written by Don Heffington

Although the Lord be high above
He doth regard the lowly
And deep within the secret heart
The Lord shall surely know thee

Although I walk in trouble, Lord
I know Thou wilt revive me
You hold me in Thy very hands
And always walk beside me

I love you with mine own true heart
Before the world I’ll praise Thee
Your love was there before the start
Thy mercy doth amaze me

If I ascend to heaven, Lord
I know Thou wilt be with me
And if I make my bed in hell
I know Thou won’t desert me

How precious are thy thoughts to me
How great Thy loving kindness
How blind the man who cannot see
That God will ease his blindness

Closing Hymn: Love Divine
Well, the Wesley text to Hyfrydol is what I was thinking, but look what I found on youtube!
This Seal song is perfect. This is kind of how it works too. Looking around for something else and I find a GREAT new song.

Love's Divine
Then the rainstorm came, over me
And I felt my spirit break
I had lost, all of my, belief you see
And realized my mistake
But time through a prayer, to me
And all around me became still

I need love, love's divine
Please forgive me now I see that I've been blind
Give me love, love is what I need to help me know my name

Through the rainstorm came sanctuary
And I felt my spirit fly
I had found all of my reality
I realize what it takes

Cause I need love, love's divine
Please forgive me now I see that I've been blind
Give me love, love is what I need to help me know my name

Oh I, don't bet (don't bend), don't break (don't break)
Show me how to live and promise me you won't forsake
Cause love can help me know my name

Well I try to say there's nothing wrong
But inside I felt me lying all along
But the message here was plain to see
Believe me

Cause I need love, love's divine
Please forgive me now I see that I've been blind
Give me love, love is what I need to help me know my name

Oh I, don't bend (don't bend), don't break (don't break)
Show me how to live and promise me you won't forsake
Cause love can help me know my name

Love can help me know my name.



Comments