February 10, 2013

Hello Everybody,

Sometimes I think I miss the beauty, strength and wisdom of Epiphany because my mind and head are already on Lent and Holy Week. Hmmmm. That is kind of sad. I know you can relate.

Anyway, here is to appreciating the light in everything and a reminder to shine your light--sometimes it gets dark out there. Keep that light shining.

Exodus 34:29-35
Psalm 99
2 Corinthians 3:12-4:2
Luke 9:28-36, [37-43a]

Gathering Song:  All Is Love by Karen O from Where the Wild Things Are


Opening:  We Have Come at Christ's Own Bidding by Carl Daw


Gospel: There Will Be a Light by Ben Harper


Offertory: I Went Up To the Mountain by Patty Griffin
We often have one of our soloists sing this on MLK Sunday, but that didn't happen this year so we can use it today!





Communion: Anthem by Leonard Cohen
One of my students has been practicing this song for several weeks. He is 11. To hear this song sung by an eleven-year-old boy forces you to listen and hear with new ears. My guess is there will not be a dry eye. We'll omit verse 2.

Song After Communion: I Shall Be Released by Bob Dylan
This version by The Band is how I hear this song. Maybe the perfect Transfiguration song? We do this one quite a bit here at Grace.





Closing Song: Love Divine All Loves Excelling

Comments

  1. Hey Annie,

    I had sent you an email personally but thought I would post here too. Thank you for this blog! :) I love bringing the same kinds of songs into worship, although not as robust as it sounds at Grace...do most of mine through video offerings.

    When I come up with some ideas I totally plan to send along to you! :) I always have my ears peeled and my Soundhound app ready wherever I am cause gospel messages just pop out all the time all over the radio and TV. :)

    Blessings and thankful for your ministry at Grace!

    Peace
    Dave S
    Torrance, CA

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Dave,
    THANK you so much for the comment and for connecting. I want to write a bit about taking baby steps into using this kind of music in worship. It is DOABLE and we are proof of that. Most of our services are a very eclectic mix of old and new. And it somehow works.
    All the best to you and when YOU have songs you've used via video or whatever please post in the comments section. Would love to see your ideas.
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto from here! We added "Can't be long" to our repertoire a few weeks ago thanks to finding it here! FWIW, "Anthem" is one of our greatest hits. Another *great* Transfiguration song is (wait for it) "Transfiguration" by Sufjan Stevens.

    Anyway, thanks for this great resource!

    Edward Murray
    Immanuel Presbyterian Church
    Los Angeles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment Edward.
    I'm so looking forward to Sunday--our first Anthem experience. :)
    We rehearsed yesterday afternoon and just played/sang it over, and over, and over again. What a song. Please add your other favs to the comments section as we go!
    Best, Annie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment